treat migraine

Godspeed, Jeff Miller

When I get around to posting here on the blog, it’s usually to talk about cool stuff that has been or will be happening at the gym.  Well today is about as uncool as it gets.

….this is proving actually harder to write than it was to say  …and I want to thank the morning peeps for bearing with me and being supportive.

For those of you that have not yet been into the gym today…  we are very saddened to have to say that Jeff Miller was killed yesterday in a… “car accident?”  Essentially he was driving down the street yesterday when a tree fell on his car.  I really have no idea what to say because it’s just too fucked up to even believe it has happened.

Jeff had been working out with us for at least five years…  he was one of the early guys that came out with Mundy and stuck with it and with us.  Jeff was always super nice and super positive.   He was a MAN – proud and a hard worker who loved his family and friends and home.  He always went out of his way to make friends with new folks in the gym and was super supportive of his fellow athletes.

Miller vs 'the bear' - circa 2011. You will be missed, brother.

10 Comments

1. Chad Curtis June 3, 2013 at 1:43 pm #

This is so sad…our hearts go out to Jeff’s friends, family and loved ones.

2. Mike D June 3, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

I went to college with Jeff, a long time ago, and I am very happy to have (re)met him and gotten to know him (again) over the past several years. He was, as Joe pointed out, always positive and supportive to any and all who worked out with him. He had fought through a few tough spots in his life and things were really looking up for him. I was glad to call him a friend.

The lesson here is as follows. You never know when your time is up, and you don’t want to leave this place with any regrets. So…

– Hug your kids(whether they want you to or not)
    – Tell your spouse/significant other you love him/her
    – Call that friend you had a silly argument with
    – Thank your mom and dad, if you are lucky enough to still have them around.
    – Don’t sweat the small stuff!

I think you get the idea, and if you think of it, in Jeff’s honor, go make someone smile today!

3. Lisa P June 3, 2013 at 6:16 pm #

To Mike Mundy and Joe Celso and all of you who were so close to Jeff,

I’m so sorry for the loss of your friend and for our loss, collectively, at CFR.

It’s evident that Jeff was a super dad, a loyal friend, and a thoughtful, kind, driven man. For those of us who only knew Jeff at the gym, like myself, here’s what I learned from Jeff.

As recently as Murph last Monday and as early as my first WOD, I heard Jeff’s voice say, “Nice job, Lisa!” He wasn’t done. He was still working his ass off regardless of injuries, (my kindred spirit in that regard ), always trying to beat his last time, weight, reps. His consistent, sincere encouragement to everyone, even in the middle of his own grueling workout, is what taught me early on what Crossfit is all about. We are a community. We rely on each other to do better than our personal best. We celebrate the achievements of seasoned veterans and newbies alike. We don’t let others fall behind. And we genuinely care about each other.

Losing Jeff is tragic and horrible. His positive attitude, sincerity, and dedication were contagious to anyone working out with him. We’ll not soon forget what a great guy he was or the energy that he brought every single day, even at 5 am.

4. Cynthia K. June 3, 2013 at 9:31 pm #

I wanted to thank you for these posts. Jeff was my brother-in-law, and these kind words go a long way in providing comfort to me and others who miss him.

5. Debra R. June 4, 2013 at 11:00 am #

I had the pleasure of knowing Jeff through his young daughter who rides her pony at my farm.
    Jeff Miller was a wonderful father to his remarkable children. He was so dedicated to their well-being and always had their best interests at heart.
    As anyone who knows Jeff, he was an outstanding athlete and we were always amazed at all the physical accomplishments he excelled at. He instilled in his children, especially his daughter the drive, and commitment to do and beat your best. His daughter is just that, the best at everything she does, from running, to riding, to skiing to LaCrosse, to academics, she is just like her dad and he was so proud of all her accomplishments.
    Jeff tragically left all of us too soon, but he will always be remembered by our family as the positive, bright and encouraging dad to three bright and beautiful children, and an outstanding athlete. He always had a kind word and warm greeting every time we saw him. You will be missed greatly Jeff, but never forgotten.

6. Muchacho June 5, 2013 at 6:52 pm #

I met Jeff Miller nearly 5 years ago, shortly after walking through the doors of Rochester XFit. His positive attitude, friendliness and competitive spirit made him stand out. He helped to shape the culture that is now Crossfit Rochester and defined the 5am group, most of whom only had nicknames.

Celebrate the fact that Jeff lived life to it’s fulliest and was loved. He was a good friend and dad. He did not waste the short time he had with us and made an impact in the lives of many.

7. Gonzo June 6, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

As long as I can remember we have all been together – Mundy, Miller, Lawrence, McKenna and myself. Today we have lost one of the originals. Rest in peace our good friend – we will never forget you, Fuzzy Bear.

8. brandee sieloff July 11, 2013 at 1:47 pm #

jeff was my science teacher at spry middle school. i think the year was 97 or 98, i remember the day his pager went off because his wife was in labor with their twins. he ran so fast to leave to get to her. he was an amazing teacher and man. i always remembered him after leaving that school. and for years to come i would see him at the wegmans i worked for and was happy every time. this is such a sad sad event that took place. he absolutely impacted everyone he met. my heart goes out to all of his family and friends. sorry for the late post, i just found out.

9. Jim Zorzi January 21, 2014 at 5:42 pm #

Miss you Jeff.

I Was a manager with him. All of us who worked with Jeff think of him often. He always displayed the highest integrity and work ethic. We knew his children without ever meeting them. They were all he talked about. Always enjoyed receiving updates about their wresting and snowboarding pursuits. Still hard to believe.

Blessings, Jim

10. Jeff TF Solomon February 19, 2014 at 4:35 pm #

All I can say is that being his little brother at the U of R has shaped the type of person I am today. Big bro i know your lifting and play lacross up in heaven and looking after all your family and freinds. I am sorry we lost touch with one another but I alway know if I ever need help you were one of few people that would be their for you without any questions. Your the best and I know that you had an impact on more peoples lifes in hte 47 years you lived then other do in a lifetime. You are and will always be missed! I am lost for wordsand my heart goes out to your family.

Yours in the bond